Monday, October 28, 2019

Reflections on Movie: The Good Lie + Book Review: Running for My Life


Reflections:

Before I share about the the book, I wanted to ask if you have watched the movie The Good Lie. Have you?  I ask because the book Running for My Life is sort of on the same premise but uniquely captures the story of one boy in particular and his individual journey.  Some parts of his story is very similar to the movie.

I watched the movie The Good Lie about a year ago and cried (ugly cry) during certain parts. The movie portrays the true life story of a select few Sudanese children commonly referred to as the "Lost Boys of Sudan".  Sudan was engaged in a brutal civil war Arab Muslims from the North killing Black Christians from the South resulting in many children running for days tying to escape from merciless soldiers that killed their parents/families and burned down their homes and villages.

The most emotional moments for me surprisingly were their adjustment to life in America when a few of them got the opportunity to migrate as Refugees ; there were lots of humorous moments as well.

The reason their adjustment to American life was so emotional to me was because I felt so much empathy for them not understanding the culture, nuances of the English language and mainly their innocence. To a veeeerrrry small (teeny tiny) degree, I had some level of relatability to their adjustments to life in America.

I remember when I was getting ready for going to school in America for the first time, I was 11 years old.  I asked my Cousin if she had a rubber I could use.  She was a teenager and asked me very puzzled, what I needed a rubber for.  I looked at her equally puzzled and said for my school work.  She emphatically told me not to go to school and ask anybody for a 'rubber' because it means something else and that I should ask for an 'ERASER'.  I was so confused as I never heard the word eraser before but after debating the practical use of the word rubber she eventually told me that a rubber was considered a condom in America (at least at that time)

Any way, another time while at school, I asked a fried for an elastic. My friend was confused and didn't know what I was asking for.... needless to say the American term is rubber band. Ahh the nuances of language in different cultures even when English is your primary is language is tricky and difficult;  Much more so when English is not your first language and your culture, scenery and way of life is VASTLY different as was the case with The Lost Boys.

Also, the expression and meaning of friendship is very different.  It takes immigrants in general a while to understand and realize that just because someone smiles with you and talks nicely to you does not mean they are your friend or that they are trying to be your friend or is genuinely interested in you or anything that concerns you. It's complicated.


I also remember watching a 60 Munities documentary in the early 2000s closely resembling the stories portrayed in the movie The Good Lie and this book, Running for my life. I searched YouTube and found the episode to share with you here for context:


Lost Boys Part I


Lost Boys Part II


 Book Review: Running for My Life by Lopez Lomong

This book is the story of Lopez Lopepe Lomong's story.  His story is similar in some respects to the lost boys but  remarkably unique in other ways.

 Lopez was six years old in Church on a Sunday morning with his Mother and Father when armed rebel soldiers came and forcefully took away all the boys, blind folded them and put them in an airtight truck back in the heat for a long drive where what seemd like hundreds of them were thrown in a small hut or days without food, windows for ventilation or access to nature or latrines to use the toilet.  You can imagine what happened, many died in the room, it stunk and there was barely room for each boy to sleep/sit on the floor at night.

What was the rest of Lomong's story?  How did he survive?  How did he escape? Who helped him? Where is Kukuma Refugee Camp and How did he get there? How did he get to America?  How did he adjust to American life when he first came? How did he become an Olympian representing the USA?  (He carried the USA flag during the opening Ceremonies in the 2008 Olympics) Where is he now and what is he doing?

If you are interested in the answers to these questions read the book.  It is a truly inspiring true to life story.  I highly recommend reading.

Personal Take Aways from the Book:

Angels are real

Delay is not denial

Determination is a force that will move mountains

Dreams do become reality

There a really kind people in our world

Your success is a key to unlock doors for others

Family is what you make it

Search Words: #Africa #Sudan #Christian Persecution #Lost Boys #Adoption in Africa, #Refugee #Running for my Life #Kukuma #60minutes #Lopez Lomong #olympics

1 comment:

  1. Great review. Thanks.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What do you Think? Would love to read your thoughts...