Thursday, October 24, 2019

Book Review: My Name Used to be Mohamed by Tito Momen

I picked up this book at the Library the same time I picked up Unstoppable by Nick Vujicic (See book Review Here). 


I never heard of Tito Momen or his story before, but the subtitle caught my attention "The True Story of a Muslim who Became Christian." It appeared interesting enough, so I decided to add it to my reading collection of library books that day.


I see the reason why 'True'  is added to the subtitle because certain parts had me wondering if everything written was really true.  There were some parts of the story that leaves me with questions, other parts were I thought some critical info was left out or glossed over. Either way, this man's life experience is very interesting, emotional, unexpected and entertaining. 


Mohamed grew up in a Orthodox Muslim village in Nigeria. As a child, his Father was grooming him to eventually become an Imam and as a result he was ordered to begin memorizing and copying word for word the Quran at age 5;  However, as you can see from the subtitle, he became a Christian. Tito's Fathers dream of his favorite son becoming a prominent, respected Muslim leader was never materialized. 


Tito's life experience needs to be made into a movie because it was filled with Drama, after Drama along with major unexpected twists and turns. 

I will not provide any spoilers by sharing too much, but if you are interested in a real life drama story I recommend this book. It is indeed a page turner but most importantly, leaves you knowing that no matter what situation you face God will not abandon you (although you may feel abandoned at some point in time). I will share that Tito became a Mormon. While I am not a Mormon and not familiar with their beliefs, I got some insights about them from the book as well.


If you have ever read this book, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I will really love to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to read it. It was a page turner. Perhaps we could discuss when you do and compare notes.

      Delete

What do you Think? Would love to read your thoughts...