Monday, November 26, 2018

Overcoming Me

Usually around this time of year is when I start writing down my goals for the next 12 Months.  I also review what I wrote down to accomplish in previous years and noticed that often times I may not accomplish every goal within the time ascribed (12 Months)  but noted that some are accomplished within a 24-36 month window and I gleefully put a check mark for accomplishment. Such a wonderful feeling to do this!

2018 feels like it moved with such immense speed. In fact, these past few years feels like each subsequent year moves faster than the last. Have you experienced the same?

I've had many high points, low points and in between this year and I'm thankful for all of them. Yes, I'm even thankful for the low points because interestingly in these moments I've discovered various strengths and been propelled to stretch  beyond myself.

I will share how I channeled inner and spiritual strength to motivate myself beyond myself these past 12 months. In addition to developing a lifestyle of thankfulness, especially during the 'low' and in between moments/seasons of life.

I am naturally an introvert; almost 'cookie cutter' introverted. Like all things, there are great positives (strengths) and negatives (limitations) to this personality style.  One of the limitations of being an introvert is avoiding small talk/random chit chat.  You've guessed it, I am not a social butterfly.  There is a difference between being Introverted and Shy.  I am  not a shy person.  I can be 'social' if I choose, but its not my natural inclination.I am naturally inclined to hide away and not bee seen or noticed.  (perhaps a main reason why I am still 'single', perhaps the main reason why I don't have a blog profile picture, perhaps the reason why I don't write too many personal posts among other perhaps..... ).

Any how, this year I decided to challenge the Introverted me and join my Organizations Toastmasters club. Toastmasters is a public speaking club/community. I knew joining that I am generally a good public speaker as each time I've had to address an audience, I receive positive feedback unsolicited. My main reason for joining Toastmasters however was to transition form a generally good speaker to a GREAT public speaker, but more personally to challenge myself to mingle and just generally talk more, on purpose. The title of my first Toastmasters speech was 'Introvert Anonymous' which I compared joining Toastmasters for me was akin to joining an anonymous group for recovering addicts. So far, so great! I am thankful that I am investing in this aspect of my life and that I choose to challenge myself in this way. I am excited to see how this investment flourishes as time progress. Plus, I get to practice my chit-chat, small talk skills when I run into a club member. #Winning #Thankful #LivingPurposefully #OnPurpose.

I am also naturally an analyzer. Just like being an introvert, there are many positives and a few negatives to having an analyzer mind.  One of the negatives limitations of being an analyzer is OVER analyzing almost everything, often times unnecessarily. For me, this also causes some degree of anxiety, high degree of procrastination and the annoying habit of indecisiveness because, thinking 'analyzing' too much into a situation, suspecting 'analyzing' a persons unspoken intent or words, needing to know 'analyzing' the what if's and all possibilities to make the right decision; As a result, I am also not inclined to take risks.
This is one of the reasons I was so eager and was so blessed to have read Anxious for Nothing by Max Lucado  this book truly brought perspective to my anxious  over analyzing thoughts. I am a work in progress in this area and I am practicing daily to not think so deeply all the time, just live and let live and Faith my Fears.

I definitely can write lots more about my personal limitations and finding ways to overcome them.  It's a challenge that I look forward to improving on personally to nurture a better version of me. 

Finally, I am generally a very grateful person never hesitant to show appreciation.  I endeavor to keep strengthening this aspect of my life to always find reasons to be grateful and demonstrate an attitude of Thanks Living.

I encourage you to acknowledge your personal weaknesses and find ways to overcome them for a better version of you is waiting on ......YOU!

4 comments:

  1. OMGoodness! Such an amazing post! I really enjoyed reading this because you opened up a part of yourself that I did not know! I love that you joined Toastmasters to better a part of yourself you felt you could be better at. That is amazing and truly what life is all about. Finding things that we know we can be better at and working towards that. You just inspired me! Thank you :) Really hoping that you do more posts like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith!! I'm so happy to know that you enjoyed and was inspired too :-). I'm loving to Toastmasters its the perfect outlet for me to verbalize my deep) thoughts, haha!!

      Yup we need to know our true selves and embrace it too, especially our weaknesses so that we can at least try to transform them into strengths.

      Delete
  2. Hmm thank you so much for this post. I really need to focus on being more thankful, rather than always worrying about what didn't work out as planned.

    I need to work on my weaknesses too, especially in the area of networking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Atilola! You are welcome, thanks for reading!

      Don't be too hard on yourself, setbacks, disappointments are part of the journey to success. Most successful people that we admire today, experienced the same but look at them now!! Keep pressing forward its all apart of the process towards eventual success which makes it sweeter in the end. One day many people will remember how you started and say....I remember her when but look at her now!! :-)

      Delete

What do you Think? Would love to read your thoughts...