Monday, January 15, 2018

Gardening 101:: Introduction

Gardening has become a pseudo hobby of mine by force.  The thing is, my Mother just loves gardening and everything that has to do with dirt.  It really is an obsession of hers, and by default, I am her helper/assistant; so that's how the 'by force' part comes in.


As far back as I can remember, as a littler girl in Jamaica, my Mom had a garden.  A flower garden in the front, lots of potted plants on the veranda and in the back yard, fruit trees and vegetables were cultivated. It was no different when we migrated to America.  Even when we lived in an apartment, she had pots growing something.


When she bought our first home in America, same thing, nothing much has changed besides the climate we live in. The front of our home is a spectacle to behold in the spring, summer and fall months. Beautiful flowers are grown and arranged, some perennial and others annual. 



She receives regular compliments from passers by about the beauty of her flower garden. Mommy never fails to attribute all to the Glory of God  and always uses the opportunity to point the praises to  His Magnificence and Creation.


The back yard is where she still cultivates all kinds for food (tomatoes, green peppers, corn, hot peppers, eggplant, cabbage, kale, variety of herbs, calalloo, squash, pumpkin, potatoes, beans) and the list goes on.....every now and then she tries to see if tropical things will grow, they actually grow but as soon as the season changes they die and never produce.


I am excited to explore life lessons from being a Gardner's helper has taught and is still teaching me and looking forward to sharing in the upcoming Gardening 101 series.
 


6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a green thumb and am enjoying learning what I can do to help plants/flowers grow. I'm not great yet, but def. better than a few years ago. Wish I were like your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people find having a green thumb therapeutic. Keep practicing, you will learn what works and does not with practice.

      Delete
  2. I've always wished I could grow my own food. I guess I will still do that when I move into a big expanse land

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food taste so much differently when you grow it yourself.

      Delete
  3. Those are gorgeous flowers! I love plants and I definitely want to grow veggies one day. My parents love gardening too, both flowers and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that your parents enjoy gardening too!

      Delete

What do you Think? Would love to read your thoughts...