Today I want to talk about the importance of having a Personal Trainer. We've probably heard the term before and have a general understanding of what a Personal Trainer does.
Generally, a Personal Trainer develops a fitness plan, motivates, challenges and teaches their clients to improve their fitness, strength and/or physique. The fitness plan is uniquely tailored for each client's needs.
Spiritual Fitness Plan
Training our spirits for Godliness/living right comes through several means:
- The Spiritual sermons we hear/listen to that encourages us in Godly living.
- Romans 10:17(NET)- Consequently, Faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the preached word of Christ.
- Reading the Bible and understanding Gods will for how we live.
- Psalms 119:105(NLT)- Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.
- Demonstrate Godly attributes (kindness, humility, forgiveness, patience, love etc) especially when it is most difficult/challenging to do so.
- Matthew 5:14-16 (the link shows the KJV verson (you are the light of the word...) but below is another translation that illuminates this passage more for us. (MSG)- Here's another way to put it: You are here to be light, bringing out the God-colors [favor's interjection... kindness, humility, patience, love..all the fruits of the spirit]in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We are going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-beares, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand-shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
- James 2:14-16(CEB)- My brothers and sisters, what good is it if people say they have faith but do nothing to show it? Claiming to have faith can't save anyone, can it? Imagine a brother or sister who is naked and never has enough food to eat. What if one of you said, "Go in peace! Stay warm! have a nice meal! What good is it if you don't actually give them what their body needs? In the same way, faith is dead when it doesn't result in faithful activity.
- Fasting or abstaining from a particular thing we love/enjoy/indulge in, could be any thing from food, shopping, social media, Internet surfing, playing video games, watching sports,...... disciples our flesh while encouraging our Spiritual life, experience and attitudes to grow. (We'll explore
detoxingfasting more in a future post)
- Matthew 7:21-Not everyone that says to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in Heaven.
- Can you think of any other ways we can train our spirits for right living?
Spiritual Motivator/Personal Trainer
I came across a quote recently that arrested my attention; It said " Stop listening to yourself and talk to yourself more."
Do you find yourself at times struggling with negative thoughts about yourself, your future, your purpose, your outlook......anything that concerns you for that matter?
Personal/Spiritual Motivator Exercise:
In the physical, a Personal Trainer may find that their client may not always be enthusiastic about taking part in the session, so the personal trainer needs to employ good motivational skills.
For Spiritual motivation, let's begin talking to ourselves rather that listening to ourselves. Let's become our own personal motivator/number one cheerleader.
You may have your own phrases, quotes or bible passeges that moves you spiritually; Care to share them with us in the comment box?