Friday, September 20, 2013

Project Homeless Connect

I had an AMAZING experience yesterday.   The beginning of this experience actually started several weeks ago when I was prompted and moved by a power greater than me to start helping people experiencing homelessness. 

I immediately began researching various organizations and initiatives and even E-mailed a few inquiring about opportunities to volunteer. While doing my research, I came across information where my city was hosting a  Project Homeless Connenct event in two weeks at the downtown convention center and needed volunteers to help.  The event would provide on-site services for the local homeless community, such as medical exams and screenings, haircuts, legal advice, identification, access to healthy food, etc. 

I was overcome with joy and excitement and this was perfect timing.  All volunteers were required to attend a 1 hour training in advance to prepare us for the event.  The training was informative and enlightening.

So finally the day came Yesterday......A whole host of homeless individuals showed up.  Buses where sent out to transport the participants to the event from various pick up sites.  This was truly well coordinated purpose driven.  The homeless population include those who live on the streets and sleep in shelters as well as those who are in transitional housing and those who are staying with a friend or family member temporarily. 

Volunteers were paired with an individual experiencing homelessness, at-risk individuals and families and helped them navigate the various services and shared the experience of the event.

I had such a fulfilling time and experience. May God bless and help all those who came out both on the giving and receiving end.  I endeavour to continue to seek opportunities to sacrifice my time, talents and resources to this population.

Matthew 25:35-42
35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you Think? Would love to read your thoughts...