Monday, May 12, 2014

'A Mother's Love' Concert

I mentioned in my last post that my mom and I were attending a concert for Mother's day featuring, Gladis Knight, Tasha Cobbs, Tamela Mann, Marvin Sap and  James Fortune.

The concert was being held at the Arena downtown and was to start at 5pm, so after having a delicious dinner prepared by me :-), we got all dolled up and ready to go.  The sun was shining so rich and bright, a gorgeous afternoon.

We did not anticipate so much traffic, apparently there was a ball game going on in addition to various other events including the one we were attending.

I was praying that we would find sufficient parking close to the Arena, and we did! literally right next to the building with parking spaces available. God is good.

There was a loooong line to enter as each person had to have there purses/bags inspected before entering and tickets processed etc.  Needless to say we arrived in our seat at 5:30 just when Tasa Cobbs was ending her song and all we heard was Brre-eak-Chain, BREAK!  You know how she can minister to those chains.  I wasn't too disappointed because I attended a concert a few years ago that she participated in while ministering this song.

Next up was Marvin Sapp, he sang a medley of his songs and gave testimonies in between on when he was experiencing homelessness and various obstacles he faced physically and spiritually.  He was very engaging, energetic and we enjoyed his 'ministration'

After Marvin was Tamela Mann, I enjoyed Tamela as well.  Her style in dress is always so cute and her hair is always on point.  Any way, she sang a couple songs that I wasn't too familiar with but of course she ended with Take me to the King and I can only Imagine her most two notable songs of recent time.  She introduced her daughter that was one of her back up singers, who co-sang a song with her.

We breaked for intermission and next up was Gladis Knight.  She was the main show.  This lady looks so good and worked the stage with so much class. I didn't know the songs but a lot of the 'older' ladies knew them very well :-).  My mom teard up and shed a few tears when she sang 'The Way We Were.'  This was very touching for me because growing up, every now and then my Mom would sing a few lines to this song:  

Memories, light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories of the way we were.
Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind
smiles we gave to one another
for the way we were

 
I love you Mommy.....may we continue to make beautiful memories while God continues to color our lives.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you Think? Would love to read your thoughts...